Trying to find the best product category to sell on Amazon, but not sure where to start? Lend us your ear and we’ll tell you what industry experts recommend. Our list of this year’s top selling product categories on Amazon may help you get your foot in the door.
Table of Contents
Getting started with Amazon isn’t easy at the best of times.
But 2022 comes with a whole new set of challenges. If you’re trying to find the best product category to sell on Amazon, let’s look at this year’s already top-selling product categories on Amazon as well as any emerging trends.
Forecasted Vs. Growing Product Categories on Amazon in 2022
According to eMarketer, this year’s greatest rise in sales will be for essential goods, fashion, beauty products, pet products, and furniture.
But computer and consumer electronics will continue to be the best product categories in 2022, accounting for 26% of sales.
Statista is even more optimistic in terms of sales share for electronic products.
It attributes 28.3% of all sales to it this year, with marginal growth by 2027. The same goes for fashion and apparel items, which will continue to account for just over a quarter of sales until 2027.
But Statista also makes a few other claims.
In a recent forecast, it suggests that not much has changed in terms of buyer preferences since 2019.
Also, while online sales of electronics will surpass offline sales in 2025, the global market for consumer electronics should grow by only 1.84% per year until 2026.
Not everyone favors these categories, though. This year, eMarketer is rooting mostly for beauty, books, furniture, food and beverage, and pet products, due to post-pandemic lifestyle changes.
Yet, for FeedbackWhiz, Sports & Outdoors and the Patio, Lawn & Gardening subcategory take precedence.
However, there’s a growing consensus that people are more and more interested in self-care and home improvement products. This probably reflects changing lifestyles, new-found hobbies, and a thriving “homebody economy”, as Business Insider calls it.
Top 10 Product Categories to Sell on Amazon in 2022
What do we think?
That they’re all partly right.
As people lean into more time-consuming tasks like cooking, décor, at-home spa, and spending more time with kids and pets, there are bound to be some changes in terms of subcategories and niches.
But the overall top-selling product categories on Amazon will probably continue to be:
- Food & Beverage.
- Pet Products.
- Office Equipment.
Unlike sellers in categories like Musical Instruments, Industrial & Scientific, and Automotive Parts & Accessories, those who sell in these categories generally require less experience and expertise to get started.
Also, sellers in these categories are more likely to be able to fulfill their own orders.
But there are a few challenges.
For one thing, inflation is lowering spending power, so impulse buys are giving way to deals, coupons, and DIY alternatives.
How to Find the Best Product Category to Sell on Amazon
Choosing the best product category to sell on Amazon is a long and error-prone process.
It’s not just about finding today’s top-selling product categories on Amazon, but also about things like competition, demand, and the quality of the research you undertake.
Here are 10 pointers for your analysis:
- What products are in high demand for 2022? Look at Google trends and compare consumer trend reports from reliable sources to get an overall picture. Try a good Amazon keyword scouting tool for high-demand phrases with limited uptake to narrow down the list.
- What kind of competition are you looking at? Check sections like “customers also bought/viewed”, “frequently bought together”, “compare with similar items”, and “consider a similar item”. Scroll to Sponsored product carousels that say “you might also like” and “4 stars and above”. Notice patterns and gauge the competition.
- Is it popular on Amazon? Check sales rank for this item and similar ones. The smaller the better, but it varies from one category to the next. Note that it’s calculated based on buyer orders, not units sold. Aim for 3-4 figure sales ranks if you want to avoid intense competition and low margins.
- Is it a financially viable product? As a new seller, you may want to focus on items that retail for over $25, at least until you build up your sales volume. But bear in mind that spending power is low, ‘landed costs’ are high, and Amazon fees are growing. The latest FBA fee changes will attest to that.
- Is the item likely to sustain damage in transit? Durability, weight, and size may affect your fulfillment options as well as your shipping costs. Note that Amazon FBA has very strict packaging and prep requirements like passing the 3-foot drop test up to 5 times.
- Is it a seasonal product? Seasonality isn’t necessarily a drawback, but it can affect Google trends and other reports. Toys, gifts, and jewelry sales might get a boost in Q4, while books and stationery can fly off the shelves in Q3.
- Are product reviews genuine and resolvable? Some product categories (e.g., beauty, fashion) are more prone to review manipulation. It’s important to check that buyer reviews for this and similar items seem genuine, reasonable, and appeasable.
- Are you in it for the long-haul? Ask yourself if, once your offer goes live, you are prepared to consider promoting it with PPC campaigns, optimizing your listing, negotiating supplier prices, and working on your product’s USPs and perceived value constantly.
- Is there any bias in your assessments? Check that you’re not overestimating, underestimating, or putting too much effort into your choice of product category because you’ve used, worked with, or coveted these types of products before.
And so it is that we conclude today’s blog post, but not before reminding you to check reputable industry reports on growing product categories on Amazon in 2022.
As for us, we’re excited to help you grow your business by listing and pricing those top-selling product categories on Amazon.
With software tools like BuyBoxBuddy, all it takes to start selling is a PC and 10 minutes of your time.
Melanie takes an active interest in all things Amazon. She keeps an eye on the latest developments and keeps Amazon sellers up to speed.