Amazon sales rank is the name given to an indicator for the number of sales a product has as compared to others in the same category. Also called Amazon Best Sellers Rank, it can go from 1 to over 1 million. By convention, #1 is the top selling product in its (sub)category.
The first 100 products in specific categories are displayed on the Best Sellers page. The same product can be the #1 best seller in two different subcategories, as seen below. Note that the Amazon sales rank list above only mentions the #1 rank once.
7 Facts About Amazon Sales Rank
The formula for the Amazon sales rank is a secret. So, trying to quantify this rank is not an exact science. But there are a few things we know about the Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
- It’s based on number of orders, not units.
- It only includes orders successfully paid for.
- It updates hourly, so it can fluctuate throughout the day.
- It’s based on how recent orders are, as well as how fast.
- It’s also a measure of popularity, so it can be an incentive for buyers.
- It’s not affected by the number of searches or page views, but by conversions.
- It’s affected by seasonality, so popularity and utility should be factored into restocking efforts.
10 Tips for a Lower Amazon Best Sellers Rank
1. When scouting for things to sell on Amazon, use a specially designed app like Profit Bandit. It gives you a historical record on prices via Keepa, CamelCamelCamel and other apps under the Special Function menu and it dispalys the current sales rank.
3. When you’re close enough to the #1 spot for your targeted keyword, improve sales velocity, and maintain ranking stability with consistent sales.
4. A lot of Amazon sellers are tempted to buy their own products to improve their sales rank. Obviously, that’s against the rules, and it won’t necessarily lead to more orders.
5. Price your items competitively using a real-time repricer like Sellery. It displays sales rank (5th column), helping you choose items worth repricing for better sales and margins.
6. Product reviews can sway undecided buyers. Bearing in mind that a string of 5-star reviews looks suspicious and some readers only focus on negative reviews, work on your product’s image.
7. An order of 1,000 units won’t improve your sales rank the way 1,000 orders of a single unit will. Encourage single-unit orders with low prices and get rid of bulk buy discounts.
8. For an order to be factored into Amazon sales rank calculations, the payment must pull through. It may be worth checking bounced payments.
9. Try not to click on your competitor’s products. This can flag up popular items and reveal worthwhile investments.
10. The formula for sales rank is one of Amazon’s best-kept secrets. So, take information from tools like the Amazon Sales Estimator with a grain of salt.
And so it is that we round off this month’s blog posts with a piece on Amazon sales rank. Hopefully, we’ve satisfied your hunger for information on Amazon Best Sellers Ranks. But don’t go anywhere, because we’re cooking up a fresh batch of blog posts for next month. Business reports, performance metrics, and Amazon Brand Registry are on the menu.
Melanie takes an active interest in all things Amazon. She keeps an eye on the latest developments and keeps Amazon sellers up to speed.