It’s a tough time to sell on Amazon. But one thing’s for sure: there’s never a dull moment. For Amazon sellers who’d like to recap the most important events of the year, we drew up a brief summary to put things into perspective.
It’s nearly the start of the holiday season and it’s business as usual for Amazon sellers. But let’s take stock of this year’s events with a quick 2018 run-through. Since we’re on topic, let’s then wrap up this round-up with a few of the ensuing SellerEngine software updates.
For the vast majority of Amazon sellers, it’s becoming harder to sell on the Amazon marketplace. Just look at arbitrage. Still, sellers had a bit more protection from unfair competition in 2018. Here are some of the key events marking a shift in a typical Amazon seller’s business life:
1. The nexus rule is overturned, so sales tax is now being collected on all out-of-state orders by those who sell products on Amazon;
4. Amazon adopts a new approach to suspensions, asking sellers for a pre-POA prior to suspending an account and withholding funds;
6. Advertising solutions (AMS, DSP, etc.) are consolidated on the Amazon Advertising website;
7. The Toys & Games category is Selling certain product categorie... More over the holiday season to FBA and eligible MFN sellers;
8. Feedback removal deadline shortened to just 90 days;
9. Down-voting other sellers’ reviews becomes a thing of the past;
10. Individual sellers can now send one review request email per order.
Amazon has quietly been working away and developing some of the most mind-boggling technology this year. In the meantime, we’re witnessing the rise of Alexa. Here are some of the ways Amazon has been changing customers’ lives as well as the world of business this year:
1. Toyota cars and some wearables now come with smart voice assistant Alexa built in;
2. Alexa-powered smarthomes are now available for viewing thanks to the Amazon Experience program;
3. Restaurants are working on ways to integrate Alexa into their service;
4. There’s an Echo Dot for kids now;
5. There are rumours that Vesta, a mobile version of Alexa (like a domestic robot), is being tested this year;
6. Using keyless entry technology, Amazon now delivers straight to people’s cars with the Amazon Key In-Car program;
7. Australian customers are banned from shopping on any Amazon venue other than the local one;
8. Business analytics tool Amazon Quicksight is now available on a pay-per-session basis;
10. The upcoming HQ2 turned out to be two new headquarters, rather than one.
So, what have we been up to this year? Well, we don’t want to give the game away, so here’s a selection of our proudest moments at SellerEngine:
1. We launched scheduled repricing, a function built into Amazon repricing tool Sellery;
2. Virtual scouting assistant Profit Bandit was updated to include a new scanning tool;
4. Sellery now comes with automatic repricing rules to help customize your pricing strategy.
It’s a lot to take in, we know. And from the look of things, next year will be even more eventful. Without giving too much away, we think you’ll like the highly touted Amazon Voice of the Customer dashboard next year. When it’s launched, though, is anyone’s guess. In the meantime, why not try these 10 tips to boost your IPI?
Melanie takes an active interest in all things Amazon. She keeps an eye on the latest developments and keeps Amazon sellers up to speed.